Career Technical Institute’s history dates back as far as 1949, when its former parent company began an employment agency in New York City. Originally the company provided permanent, full-time job placement services in the New York area.
Later, as computer technology was rapidly automating offices all over the country, a need quickly developed for quality training programs to produce a technically skilled workforce to meet the needs of the business community. In response to this need, the parent company established its first Learning Center in New York in 1980. The Washington, DC Learning Center opened in 1992.
In May 2003, the Learning Center was privately acquired with the goal of providing relevant vocational training to the residents in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. On March 19, 2007, the institution formally changed its name to Career Technical Institute, Inc. (CTI).