VA education benefits are often an important reason why many people choose to serve in the military. Understanding your eligibility and all of your options is the best way to take advantage of your VA education benefits. However, navigating through the details of how to access those benefits is often difficult because there are so many options and guidelines. Below are 5 top questions about VA education benefits and information to guide you through the process of understanding and applying for VA education benefits.

#1 What VA education benefits are available to me?

The types of VA education benefits that you are eligible for can vary and depends on your type of military service and discharge status. If you receive a dishonorable discharge, you are immediately ineligible for all VA education benefits. If you have received an honorable discharge, then you may be entitled to some of the following VA education benefits:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • Montgomery GI Bill®
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service
  • Montgomery GI Bill®-Select Reserve
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  • Licensing and Certification
  • Work-study

#2 Do I need to be disabled in order to receive VA education benefits?

No, you do not need to be disabled. While there are specific benefits for prior service members who have a disability or health issue linked to their time in the military, not all education benefits offered by the VA are tied directly to being disabled.

#3 Does my spouse have access to my VA education benefits?

Yes, through the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA), sponsored by the Department of Defense’s (DoD) Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program. As an eligible military spouse, you may receive a maximum education benefit of up to $4,000 with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to achieve your career training goals. The MyCAA scholarship can be used over a 3-year period for a total of $4,000 and does not impact the service member’s funding should a military spouse accept the MyCAA scholarship benefit.

#4 How do I apply for VA education benefits?

Applying for VA education benefits requires that you understand your eligibility. Next, you need to apply by filling out the right form. If you’re leaving active service soon, if you’ve been discharged within the past year, or if you’re the dependent of a Veteran, you may be eligible to receive Educational and Career Counseling to understand your eligibility for which program best suits you and learn which form to fill out for that program. Next, you need to choose an education or training institution.

Career Technical Institute offers degrees and certificate training for Veterans and is approved by the Veterans Administration GI Bill® to enroll students who qualify for specific VA education benefit programs. Here are some of those VA education benefit programs:

  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Chapter 35 Survivor’s and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

#5 What’s the timeframe for receiving VA education benefits?

There are several different VA education programs that you may be eligible for and those programs may all have different application requirements and timeframes. However, according to the VA, the average time to receive your VA education benefits after you apply is 30 days. You must ensure that you have all the information needed to process your VA education application in a timely fashion in order to avoid any issues.

Career Technical Institute is approved by the Veterans Administration GI Bill® to enroll students for certain programs. To learn more about your VA education benefits, please visit If you have questions about VA education benefits and would like to speak to someone, please call 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET or visit your nearest VA office. 

Contact CTI Admissions regarding both Online and Campus-based programs approved for VA Education benefits. Call 888-516-5339 today!

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at